SAE J429 covers the Mechanical and Material Requirements for Externally Threaded Fasteners. The SAE J429 Standard covers mechanical and material requirements for inch-series steel bolts, screws, studs, screws for screw and washer assemblies, and U-bolts.
The fasteners that belong within the SAE J429 Standard are typically used in automotive and construction related industries. Typically, headed fasteners that meet the specification standard of SAE J429 are designed to meet the dimensional inspection
requirements governed by ASME B18.18 and chemical and physical testing requirements governed by ASTM F1470.
The SAE J429 Specification covers minimum mechanical and material requirements for inch-series steel fasteners including bolts, screws, studs, and U-bolts less than or equal to 1-1/2 inch. This specification typically governs fasteners used in the automotive and related industries. The requirements provided for each grade designation determine different levels of fastener performance. Typically headed fasteners that meet the specification standard of SAE J429 are designed to meet the dimensional inspection requirements governed by ASME B18.18 and chemical and physical testing requirements governed by ASTM F1470.
|Grade Designation||Products||Grade Identification Marking|
|1||Bolts, Screws, Studs||None|
|2||Bolts, Screws, Studs||None|
|5||Bolts, Screws, Studs 1|
|8||Bolts, Screws, Studs|
1. Not Applicable to Studs or Slotted and Cross Recess Head Products
2. Grade 5 Material Heat Treated Before Assembly With a Hardened Washer is an Acceptable Substitute
SAE J429 Specifications for Mechanical Properties governs the nominal size, yield strength, tensile strength, percent elongation, percent reduction of area, minimum and maximum hardness, as well as the minimum tempering temperature.
|Medium Carbon Steel, Heat Treated, Quenched and Tempered||Per SAE J429 2014-05|
|Grade Designation||Nominal Size||Full Size 1 Proof Load||Full Size Tensile|
|Machine Test Yield Strength 2||Elongation||Reduction of Area||Core Hardness|
|Diameter Inches||psi||Min psi||Min psi||Min %||Min %||min - max|
|1||1/4 thru 1 1/2"||33,000||60,000||36,000||18||35||B70 - B100|
|2||1/4 - 3/4"4||55,000||74,000||57,000||18||35||B80 - B100|
|Over 3/4 - 1 1/2"||33,000||60,000||36,000||18||35||B70 - B100|
|4||1/4 - 1-1/2"||65,000||115,000||100,000||10||35||B70 - B100|
|5||1/4 - 1"||85,000||120,000||92,000||14||35||C22 - C32|
|Over 1 - 1 1/2"||74,000||81,000||105,000||14||35||C19 to C30|
|5.13||No.4 - 5/8'||85,000||120,000||-||-||-||C19 to C30|
|5.2||1/4 - 1"||85,000||120,000||92,000||14||35||C26 to C36|
|8||1/4 - 1 1/2"||120,000||150,000||130,000||12||35||C33 to C39|
|8.1||1/4 - 1 1/2"||120,000||150,000||130,000||10||35||C33 to C39|
|8.2||1/4 - 1"||120,000||150,000||130,000||10||35||C33 to C39|
1. Full Size Means a tension test specimen consisting of a completed fastener for testing in the ready to use condition without alteration
2. Yield strength is stress at which a permanent set of 0.2% of gage length occurs
3. Not Applicable to studs or slotted and cross recess head products
Material and Chemical Property Requirements for the SAE J429 governs minimum and maximum carbon, phosphorus, sulfur and boron percent content of steel fasteners within the SAE J429 specification. The properties also include the minimum tempering temperature requirements.
|Per SAE J429 2014-05|
|Grade||Material||Carbon Min - Max||P Max||S Max||Boron Min - Max|
|% By Weight||% By Weight||% By Weight||% By Weight|
|1||Low or Medium Carbon Steel||none - 0.55||0.025||0.025||-|
|2||Low or Medium Carbon Steel||0.15-0.55||0.025||0.025||-|
|4||Medium Carbon Steel||0.28-0.55||0.025||0.13||-|
|5||Medium Carbon Steel 2||0.25-0.55||0.025||0.025||-|
|Carbon Steel with Additives 3,4||0.15-0.40||0.025||0.025||0.0005-0.003|
|5.1 2||Low or Medium Carbon Steel 2,3,4||0.15 - 0.30||0.025||0.025||none - 0.003|
|5.2||Low Carbon Baron Steel 3||0.15-0.30||0.025 max||0.025 max||0.0005-0.003|
|8||Carbon 5 Steel with Addititves 4||0.25-0.55||0.025||0.025||none - 0.003|
|Medium Carbon Steel||0.25-0.55||0.025||0.025||-|
|Alloy Steel 5,6||0.25-0.55||0.025 7||0.025 7||-|
|8.1||Medium Carbon Alloy 5,6 or SAE 1541 Steel||0.28-0.55||0.025||0.04||-|
|8.2||Low Carbon Boron Steel 3,4||0.15 - 0.25||0.025||0.025||0.005 - 0.003|
1. Grade 5 Material Heat Treated Before Assembly With a Hardened Washer is an Acceptable Substitute.
2. For Grades 5 and 5.1, fasteners, alloy steels, as specified for Grades 8 fasteners, may also be used at the manufacturer's option.
3. When the carbon content in boron steel is less than 0.25% the minimum manganese shall be 0.60% for Grades, 5, 5.1, and 5.2 and 0.70% for Grades 8.2.
4. When Boron is added the limits shall be 0.0005% to 0.003%.
5. For steels of theses types there shall be sufficient hardenability to ensure a microstructure consisting of approximately 90% martensite in the core of the threaded sections of the fasteners after hardening and quenching before tempering.
6. Alloy Steel shall contain at least one of the following elements in the quantity given: chromium 0.30%, nickel 0.30%, molybdenum 0.20%, vanadium 0.10%, manganese 1.65%. Where elements are specified in combinations of two, three, four, or five and have alloy contents less than those given above, ht limit value to be applied for steel class determination is 70% of the sum of the individual limit values shown above for the two, three, four or five elements concerned.
7. Alloy Steel used to mae fasteners by hot forging or machining may have a mxaimum content by weight of 0.030% P (phosphorus) and 0.040% S (sulfur)